Algorithm for making arena sides needs to change

Discussion in 'General Archive' started by avidgolfer_gp, Mar 14, 2014.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avidgolfer_gp

avidgolfer_gp Forum Apprentice

This is a great game, but I see one very serious problem with it. The way that arena sides are formed is a joke. Sides are usually so uneven as to make many of the arena matches uncompetitive. It only takes one or two super players on one side (hi lvl and hi fame) to control the arena competition. It also makes the stronger players even stronger faster, while weaker players have a lot of trouble advancing their fame rating.

For example, I have lvl 40 and 41 toons who are seasoned legionnaires and aare always being matched up against lvl 45 toons who are knights, marshals and flag bearers. I am only in those matches to die, it's impossible for me to get any significant points while the power players just keep killing me with one or two shots. This happens to my lower levl toons too because I don't spend all day in the arena trying to be a centurion by lvl 20 and a knight by lvl 30. This game offers a lot of variety, which is great, so why would I want to keep doing the same thing over and over day after day (BORING!).

Here is a good example of what's wrong from a CTF pvp I just got out of. The sides were:
    Red: 39 seasoned knight, 39 ardent cent, 34 ardent legionnaire, 34 ssnd knight, 35 ardent recruit
    Blue: 38 ssnd legionaire, 38 novice cent, 36 ardent legionnaire, 34 sesond cent, and one guy who quit (don't blame him)
    The lvl 39 knight was so much more powerful than anyone on red team, he could have won (and for all practical purposes did) all by himself. None of the blue players could damage him or stand against him without dying quickly. The comp was over in less than 5 mins. That player was lvl 39 + lvl 35 fame (lvl 74 effectively) while the strongest blue player team was lvl 38 lvl 25 fame (lvl 63 effectively). that's equivalent to an 11-level difference!

even when the sides are more evenly matched with same player and fame levels, the combo of player-fame level still gives some players a major advantage, such as the knight being lvl 35 on one side while the knight on the other side is lvl 30. Sometimes I've been the lowest fame and player lvl in the competition, which means I don't stand a @$@%%^ chance of getting many points. My lvl + fame combo is so much lower than the strongest players on the other side that all I can do is die over and over. Usually I quit those matches, it's just a waste of my time.

The simple solution is to assign each player a power rating based on both their player level and their fame level. All players in the comp should be approximately the same pwr level so that there is not such a huge gap between the strongest and weakest players in the comp (even on the same side). This would make the matches MUCH more competitive and fair to all players in the match, instead of the way it is now where a few strong players control the match results.

the way the rules are set up now, stronger players just keep getting even stronger at a very fast rate, while weaker players will take forever to get anywhere in fame points.

Another alternative is to limit the fame level based on player level, but I suppose it's way too late to implement something like that.

Please consider changing the rules for creating arena sides, this is a great game that is well thought out, with this one glaring exception.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.